Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Static Evolution

The title of the chapbook that I completed for my Advanced Creative Writing workshop at B-W is, "Static Evolution." The concept is basically that you can create the illusion of change by looking at something in a different way, switching lenses, etcetera. I also wanted to make small things seem profoundly important. Thus, I included poems about electrical outlets, grapefruits, a shark's mouth, a turnpike sign.

On the cover of my chapbook, I included a series of photos that I took a few weeks ago outside my apartment on Seminary Street in Berea. There is a massive amount of construction happening, and in the early stages of the process, many of the streetlights were taken from the ground and laid in pieces on the grass. They looked so vastly different that way--like alien pods or something. When I show people these photographs, they tend to get confused. So I thought I'd post them here, and confuse as many people as possible.















Above: A streetlamp on the lawn.
















Above: Things start to get a little strange
















Above: I liked the patches of yellow grass where these things used to lay.

















Above: This one's my favorite. It was such a bright and sunny day that the idea of needing streetlights at all seemed absurd.

No comments: