Thursday, January 19, 2006

Only in the Movies

This morning I woke up and hit my head on the ceiling. I guess that's the price you eventually pay when you loft your bed. The strange thing is that I've lofted my bed for two years now and this is the first time it's happened. It really hurt. I'm still feeling it.

When it happened though I was reminded of two films:

1) "Zoolander", simply because he hits his head in similar comic fashion.
2) "Magnolia" because of my make-believe boyfriend Philip Seymour Hoffman's excellent telephone monologue.

His character discusses the possibility of extraordinary circumstances and quasi-cinematic occurances happening in real life and he painfully tries to convince someone else to believe that what he is saying is not some fantastic fabricated sob-story. In fact, in the opening of this movie the narrator tells us, "These strange things happen all the time." And I think that hitting my head this morning was a case of life imitating art or the other way around or something. Then I went to turn on the TV and it was already on. I had it set to "Input 2" last night whilst I was watching a movie and I must have forgotten to turn it off. So when I pushed the power button on the remote, I heard a click and nothing happened. It was strange.

Last night I saw a screening of the new Woody Allen film, "Match Point." As always, he offers up a really insightful and captivating (if sometimes slow-moving) exploration of the politics of sex and ambiguity of love. Scarlett Johansson was weird. I mean, I love her a lot but I guess I wasn't used to seeing her playing such a forward and overtly sexual woman. To me she's still the awkward indie girl from "Ghost World" with a thrift store skirt and a crush on the guy at the gas station. I make bizarre connections with characters in movies.

I hope that I never hit my head on the ceiling again--not because it was so painful--but because if it happens again it won't be such a special occurance anymore.

The girl next door is singing some horrid radio "country" hit. I like the old country--back when it knew what it was. Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, George Jones.

I can't think of anything good to say. I think I'm going to finish watching "Girl, Interrupted" and simultaneously forge bizarre connections with two of my favorite cinematic foils. (Susanna (Angelina Jolie) Kaysen and Lisa Rowe (Winona Ryder)). )))))(().

No comments: